|The Bellapais Monastery, one of the unparalleled samples of Gothic Art, is situated on the flanks of the Five-finger Mountains of Kyrenia (Girne). Its name today derives from the French "Abbaye de la paix", which means "The Peace Monastery". The first Bellapais Monastery building was constructed between 1198-1205. Most sections of the Bellapais Monastery building which can be seen today was built by the French King Hugh III between 1267-1284.
The Italian frescoes on the front walls of Bellapais Monastery were made in the 15th century. On the door behind the tombs the insignia of the Jerusalem, Lusignan, and Cyprus Kingdoms are fixed.
Location: Bellapais, Kyrenia (Girne), Northern Cyprus